Monday, September 12, 2011

Junk bikes get new life - AtomicZombie builders gallery





"I picked a pair of old Schwinn OCC StingRay bikes from a the country, they were both in extremely bad condition. The chains were rusted solid and had to be cut off with a side grinder.

Everything on the bikes had to be sanded or wire brushed. The original frame configuration was a 20" wheel on the rear and a 24" wheel on the front. I extended and lowered the rear drop outs, the front forks, and the kickstand in order to accommodate 26" wheels on the front and the back. I also had to recess the inside of the front forks to allow enough room for the 36v geared front wheel motor that I added. I moved the foot peg from the front forks to a rear location.

I built and welded on the front wheel disc brake mounting bracket and the rear rack. I mounted the 36v lithium battery to the front of the down tube. I also cut and leaned the seat post back a few inches and gave the bike the blacked out treatment.

Hope you guys like it, Michael Welch"