Monday, January 30, 2012

Velomobile concepts by Neil

Hi Brad and Kat,

Thank you for all the inspirational projects and build information offered.

Although I am currently not in a position to physically build any projects yet and still undecided on which one to even build first, I have been spending some time developing "virtual" vehicles and attached are two conceptual overlay images that I would like to share. Although these are still very conceptual illustrations, it has been a very enjoyable creative process and have received a large amount of satisfaction from the results.

First a little history, I have had a very strong interest in HPVs (human powered vehicles) for many years and periodically during that time have done many very basic conceptual sketches. Recently, my interest has been more specifically focused on "Velomobiles" and have been gathering information to create my vehicle, which I am currently in the process of deciding the final design configuration --- so many possibilities lately --- to meet my design needs!

For the past few years, after seeing some illustrations others had done involving velomobiles, decided to expand my illustration/drawing skills and create some considerably more detailed work --- especially after being inspired by some of your project photos.



The first illustration overlay I started was of the Marauder Lowracer, the vehicle position in the image was at what I consider a perfect angle and could see some very interesting possibilities.

The next project was the Streetfighter Quad, which was a bit more challenging since having the idea of using aluminum for the shell --- especially when attempting to visually illustrate this material unpainted in the top section. I also pushed the design illustration just recently, by adding considerably more detail than the previous image, and although I can see more that could be added, believe it is finally complete.



I am looking forward to creating more design concepts from some of the images collected, including the process of being able to create these in a shorter period of time. In addition, as I get closer to determining the final configuration of my vehicle, will possibly even do a few as 3D models before actually doing a physical build --- very possibly this year.

Hope you enjoy the images and thanks again for the inspiration!

Neil Biers
Boulder, Colorado



Great stuff, Neil! 

Bike builders rock!