Friday, February 19, 2010

Winter biking

Around here, it's pretty crazy to ride a bike in the winter, but I've noticed more and more cyclists riding year 'round.

On the one hand, it's great to see folks leaving the gas guzzler behind in favor of human powered transportation.

One the other hand, it's a very dangerous mode of transport, considering the amount of snow and ice on our streets every winter.

I regularly see a guy wearing reflective gear riding to and from his job, bundled up in thick clothing, huffing and puffing his way even in the most frigid temperatures. I wish I had that stamina!

Nevertheless, I do admire those who are determined to ride their bikes all year 'round and wish them safe journeys. I'm just not brave enough to embark on winter biking journeys yet.

Cheers, friends.